For as long as her memory takes her back, Francine Sculli has had an obsession with words; writing them, reading them, speaking them and playing with them. She was the little girl curled up in the crevices of the library, devouring book after book. She was the teenager doodling in her text books and scribbling over maths equations with tales of elaborate love stories (which, mind you, saw her wed each band member of NKOTB at least fifty times). Now she is the adult writer, still in love with words, emerging with a voice of her own and writing because she simply can’t live without it.
With a Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing & English Literature) already under her belt, Francine returned to RMIT in 2010 to study the Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing – completing studies in Editing 1 & 2, Corporate Writing, Journalism, Novel and Children’s Writing – and is due to complete her studies at the close of 2014. In between working on her novel (of which she has written 120,000 words on the grit and grime of everyday life and the ticking of the human mind), Francine writes freelance articles across many topics including music, education (alternative and the arts), creativity, body image, crafting and anything she falls in love with.
Francine Sculli is available for freelance work in writing (corporate, fiction, non-fiction), publicity and editing. Folio available upon request and old blog still floating in the ether. Call me, call me now.
FREELANCE ARTICLES & PUBLICATIONS
- ‘Living Creatively with Children’ and ‘It Takes a Village to Raise a Child: the Reggio Emilia Pedagogy’, published in Mindful Parenting Magazine, 2012.
- Children’s Book Reviews for Ford Street Publishing, published regularly in Buzz Words Newsletter and Buzz Words Magazine.
- ‘Crafting, the New Black’ and ‘Confessions of a Fat Girl’ published in the Brainwash Magazine in 2013.
- ‘Empowerment Through the Arts’, published in the Association of Women Educators’ journal Redress in 2013.
- Regular feature writer, news reporter and reviewer for Inthemix.com.au between 2000-2005 (under the pseudonym of PiNKe).
- Regular reviewer and feature writer for Inpress, Farrago, Revolver, 3D World and Beat Magazine between 2001-2003.
- Light copy edit – Bashiri Website for African Drumming, 2012.
FICTION – AWARDS, PUBLICATIONS & SHORTLISTS
- 6,000 word excerpt of her novel shortlisted for the ‘Grace Marion Wilson Mentorship’ at the Victorian Writers’ Centre in 2011.
- Short story Tequila Through my Veins shortlisted and published in NMIT’s ‘Time to Write’ anthology in 2012.